As a new momma and studio owner, sometimes I feel like my attention is split in a million directions. Throw in my beloved Apollo, my best friend/hubby, a gazillion home responsibilities, my own self-care and oh yeah, my blog…no wonder I have days when I feel off balance. Did you see that the title of this blog is NOVEMBER ambassador? I try to keep myself on a schedule, but somedays it just doesn’t happen, kinda like this blog post I’ve been meaning to get around to.
And let me tell you – my November ambassador Joyce is one of the best people I have in my life. Seriously, no exaggeration.
About a year ago I learned I was pregnant with Zyan (2 days before Christmas!) Fatigue was my worst enemy. For some reason I could (barely) clean my house and pull things together enough to teach, but the studio was looking a little worse for wear. I reached out asking for a karma yogi and somehow Joyce stepped forward. She was already a regular member of the Shala so her stepping forward warmed my heart as I knew I could rely on her to help out! She started cleaning the studio weekly and making it look better than I could even pre-pregnancy. And she was one of the only people who knew my Ziggy existed for quite some time!!!
In the year since then I have gotten to know her so well. She’s a reiki master, a quiet soul with a beautiful laugh. She’s one of the most loyal people I have ever met and is enrolled in the teacher training that starts this weekend. Watching her journey and listening to her talk about her beloved husband and beautiful daughter warms my heart in more ways than I could ever imagine. I am so grateful that she’s a student, a representative of the Barefoot community, a fellow healer and one of my beautiful heart friends. I am lucky beyond measure to have her in my life and am honored to present her to you on the blog!!
Without further ado, let’s all get to know her a little better!
1. How long have you been practicing yoga? I have taken yoga class occasionally in the past but I’ve never made a year long yoga commitment. I’ve tried all types of exercise but yoga is definitely what i’m supposed to be doing. Yoga is more aligned with who I am as a person, always wanting to learn and grow.
2. What drew you to the Shala? When I saw the outside sign change to Barefoot Yoga Shala, I was immediately interested in checking out the studio. There was something about it that kept calling me and I finally made my way in the door, talked with Jenny and I knew this was the place for me. I’ve been hooked ever since. It was everything I was looking for and more. Now, that I think back, I always prayed that I would find some friends, or a group to share my like minded interests with me and I got just what I was asked for. I couldn’t be happier about being part of this amazing community of honest, loving, beautiful people where I can really be comfortable myself. Every teacher has something unique and special to offer and they have helped me tremendously on my path, I am grateful to all of you!
3. You’re taking the teacher training in January, why are you taking this leap now? And what are you most excited to learn? This is something I would never dreamed of doing and I have to tell you that I am beyond excited about this. I truly believe that I will have a deeper understanding, mind, body and spiritually. I feel that it will pull together everything I’ve learned in the past . I also have this deep feeling that I will be receiving a lot of healing with this training that can only make me a better person and a better healer. I am especially excited about the spiritual growth process along the way! This is what I need to be doing for myself and I am so grateful to have this opportunity to be a part of Jenny’s teacher training. I can’t wait to start!
4. Tell us a fun fact about yourself? I have a few! I was always the neighborhood babysitter as a kid as well as an adult. I love anything crafty and creating new things; I have quilted, crocheted, made jewelry and sold it at craft fairs. I am an herbalist, Reiki Master, love to garden and an animal lover. I even took a Real Estate course!
5. What’s your favorite part of yoga? I love arriving, rolling out the mat and getting ready to start class. Just showing up is huge. Knowing that this time is for me and that I can forget about the outside world. Savasana is my favorite, I love ending the class this way and being rewarded for all the hard work I just did. It always takes me into a true meditative place where I can really connect with my inner-self.
6. What’s your favorite quote? I have lots them but a few that stand out to me are “Change your thoughts, change your life” “The things that light you up are the truth” and lastly “you are enough” I try to remember these and that we all have the power to change and create our own life just the way we want it to be. I love quotes and have pages of my favorites.
7. If you could tell your pre-yoga self anything, what would it be? To stand your ground, believe in yourself and your capabilities and never let anyone tell you that you can’t. Do what makes your heart sing and brings a smile to your face. Definitely make yoga part of your life, it’s a way to get to know yourself better and to believe in yourself. I wish I knew what it was all about and open to it earlier in life.
8. You’re a healer…reiki, crystals and all kinds of beautiful magic. What drew you to this initially and what keeps you wanting to learn more? I have always felt that there was more I needed to be doing. Nothing makes me happier than being able to help people anyway I can, sometimes I forget about myself in the process, but I’m working on that. With my overflowing toolbox that I’ve have grown over the years, it has put me in a place to really start getting more serious about it, this is where the teacher training will come into play. I really can’t wait, I am so looking forward to everything unfolding and seeing where it leads me! Let the magic begin!
I love you my friend. Thank you for being on the blog, representing the Shala, being an OMazing friend and just having the huge heart that you do. I am honored to know you and cannot wait to witness your journey in the year ahead. Namaste girlfriend!!
Get out there, do yoga & make life sparkle!